Here's an excerpt from Thinks Out Loud, an entry early in the book by tallboy, one of the bloggers who starts posting after Isaac, the blog's originator, goes on sabbatical. . .tallboy's references to Jeannie, another blogger, will become clearer if and when you read the book.
Entry No. 516 - POSTED AUG. 23, 2011
GOT WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A BLOGGER?
Whew, I don’t want to get in the middle of the Jeannie firing thing, although her situation did get me thinking about the art and science of blogging.
Blogging is not for everyone, especially someone we all know.
To help determine if you have the mental and physical constitution to be a blogger, here’s a revealing questionnaire based on a draft of Isaac’s I found in his Thinks Out Loud working file. (See, Isaac, I am giving you credit where credit is due.)
Choose the answer for each question closest to your personal version of the Truth. (Remember, cheaters never win, though they do sometimes come in second.)
I like to blog because
1. Why is this even a question? Blogging simply Is.
2. I think I have something to say.
3. I got laid off from The Daily and this is my only outlet for investigative reporting and the detailing of public health warnings.
Readers of my blog
1. Are important, no vital, to me, my raison d’être.
2. Are certainly welcome to visit. We’re all in this together. I love comments, even weird ones.
3. Consist of my second cousin in Spokane, my roommate, and an adolescent hacker from somewhere in the Midwest.
My level of blogging activity:
1. Every couple of minutes, pretty much nonstop, alternating with Twitter.
2. Two or three times a week or as the muse moves me.
3. I most recently posted during Obama's first year in office.
When someone flames one of my postings
1. It runs right off my back like Evian.
2. I try and understand the flamer’s point of view
3. It hurts, it really hurts.
For every 1 you answered give yourself 3 points. Every 2 gets you 2 points. And a 3 equals 1 point.
Now, add up your score.
4-6: You are an anti-blogger. I’ll bet you didn’t even finish the quiz or add up your points. In fact, you probably didn’t even read this posting.
7-9: You are a bloggette, a wee little one afraid to even stick that baby toe into the big cold lake.
10-11: You are a demi-blogger, and I mean that in a nice way. Is that a new typeface? It looks good, really.
12: You are a blogging fanatic who lives for the next posting. Some might call it an addiction. You call it a calling. But don’t forget to take out the compost and recycling.
So, there you have it. To blog or not to blog? Let’s hope we’ve answered that question.
LABELS: GEEK HUMOR, BLOGGING QUIZ, TIME SINK
VIEW COMMENTS (42)
StrongArm AUG. 23, 2011 AT 9:29 AM
Hey, I got an 11 and I’m not even a blogger. Maybe I should be.
BlueRibbon AUG. 23, 2011 AT 12:50 PM
Don’t believe in tests and scores. Visit my blog, Destiny’s Pile.
Heiress AUG. 23, 2011 AT 2:31 PM
HA! A perfect high score for a perfect lady, assholes!